Tuesday, November 6, 2012

20 Questions with DJ MOOKIE


Next in the 20 Questions: The Star Destroyer Series is DJ MOOKIE

DJ Mookie is this event's party starter! 

"This vinyl spinning lady is out to disprove the stereotypes and break the mould....Miss Mookie is all about self belief and would love to inspire others to feel the same.

She has a penchant for heels and dressing up in the outfits she designs and sews... With a love for collecting all things vintage and quirky, she surrounds herself with an eclectic mix of art, vintage books, vinyl and furniture. 

Fun-loving, passionate and determined, she is a blue bombshell out to prove she can do anything she sets her mind to....Never one to shy away from getting her hands dirty, she loves to learn new skills and rules, just to be able to play the game her own way."

DJ Mookie www.missmookie.com

D J   M O O K I E

1.what’s your breakfast of champions? 
I absolutely love my Spirulina smoothies in the morning! Looks disgusting, which works well because no one steals it! Tastes awesome!

2. do you have a pre performance ritual? 
I've never really had time for such things. When I first started DJing, it was at my own events, therefore I was setting up beforehand.
In the early days I tended to get a bit too tipsy to counteract my stage fright. I learned quickly that I needed to face my fear and use the adrenalin to my advantage.

3. what inspires you? 
So many things inspire me. The forgotten, the ignored, the discarded. I love to find beauty where you would least expect it. Women and true beauty inspire me, the celebration of beauty in all it's forms.
Photographers having the guts to capture anything that is outside the narrow ideals of beauty dictated to by the mainstream. Self-portrait photographers. People who question things and shake up the system for the better! 

4. what’s your last passport stamp? 
The UK, it would have been Spain, but we arrived late at night to a deserted Barcelona airport! I really wanted that stamp!

5. Time travel; where, when and why? 
I would love to travel back to New York in the 1920's. Speakeasies, the 19th amendment, Art Deco, Surrealism and prohibition. It seems like an amazing time for music, culture and the sexual liberation of women. The clothes are to die for and the nightlife would have been amazing! I would also be heading over to Paris too! Oh la la! Exciting times!

6. the book that shook you up was...? 
1984. The best and worst book I have ever read, the reason being that it is chillingly relevant and accurate right now.

7. what’s your biggest indulgence? 
Shoes and books, I can't get enough!

8. What do you want to be remembered for? 
Apart from my creative endeavours, I would like to be remembered for having a lust for life, enjoying the journey and inspiring other women to love themselves and celebrate who they are. I really believe that if you put your mind to something you can achieve it. Even though it's a cliché, it's true!

9. Any fictional character most like you? 
I asked around and got these answers: Jar Jar Binks, Humphrey B Bear and Chell from Portal. Personally I wish they would have said Tank Girl or Betty Boop, but whatever! Ahahaha!

10. Who would play you in a movie of your life? 
Marion Cotillard, Lena Headey, Juliette Lewis or Rossy de Palma.

11. We all know you’re mega talented but what’s your HIDDEN talent? 
I'm so forthright with all my talents, I'm hard pressed to even think of a hidden one! Does being able to roll my tongue count?  Yes.  It's actually a scientific example of variable penetrance

12. A dinner party of 8; you and…? 
Salvador Dali, Bunny Yeager, Quentin Tarantino, Madeleine Vionnet,  Juliette Lewis, Antoni Gaudi and the glorious Ilona Royce Smithkin. 

13. What’s your power colour? 
I love all colours, but I think red is pretty powerful and I feel great wearing it.

14. Swings or slides? 
Swings made of vines, full of deliciously scented flowers, hanging off an amazingly, grand old tree.


15. the creative masterpiece (book/film/song/painting/photograph/etc) you wish you had created? 
The masterpieces I am yet to create. I don't ever wish I had created someone else's work. I look forward to many years of creativity and as so curious as to what I will create in 20, 30, 40 years time.

16. if you led the country you would...? 
Immediately declare equal pay for women and men!

17. Sex is…FABULOUS!

18. Equality means…everyone has the same chance to be whatever they choose to be. A fair go!

19. Women and Men are....humans!

20. How do you DESTROY THE JOINT? 
I destroy the joint by DJing, taking self-portraits, painting, designing, modelling, photographing and generally dispelling the myth that beauty is only one narrow ideal.  
In many parts of the world women don't enjoy the liberties that we do, so we should do our utmost to make an impact! I want to tell women everywhere to speak up, get out there and be seen and to not let the mass media dictate what is deemed beautiful!

THANK YOU STAR DESTROYER!

*************************************************



*************************************************


1 comment:

  1. I wish i could serve at this glorious dinner of 8 !
    Oh... and this girl is talented ; )

    ReplyDelete